Rummaging in your kitchen for something to eat or impatient for your entrèe? Reach out to these simple ingredients in your kitchen and make yourself a delicious snack!!
2 small ripe avocados
1/2 cup minced red onions
1/2 cup chopped red tomatoes
1/4 cup cilantro minced
2 tbsp minced jalapeños (seeds removed)
1/2 tsp cumin powder
Juice from half of a lime (roughly 1 tbsp; you can add more or less depending on how tangy you prefer your guacamole to be)
Salt to taste
1. scoop the flesh out of the avocados and place in a bowl. Smash the avocados using a fork. You can smash them completely smooth or keep them chunky. I personally prefer mine to be a little on the chunkier side.
2. Then add the onions, tomatoes and jalapeños and give it a good mix.
3. Follow this with the cumin powder, lime juice and salt. Mix well.
4. Finally add in the minced cilantro and fold it into the above mixture.
5. Make sure to use ripe avocados for this recipe. You can tell if the avocado is ripe if the skin mostly brown and if it is a little soft when you press it (but shouldn’t be super squishy in which case it could be overripe). If they are not ripe you will have a hard time smashing them and will almost have a slight crunch to them!
6. You can store your Guacamole in an airtight container and it should keep well in the fridge for 2-3 days. Most avocados do turn brown once they are exposed to the air. What I’ve found really helps is placing the avocado pit/seed in the guacamole – this helps prevent or at the least reduces the browning process drastically. If despite your best efforts the guacamole still goes brown, do not worry! All you have to do is give it a good mix and it should turn greenish again. But whatever the colour of the guacamole is, it still tastes pretty darn awesome!
Pico De Gallo
1 cup minced red onions
1 cup minced red tomatoes
3 tbsp minced jalapeños (seeds removed)
1/4 cup minced cilantro
Juice from half of a lime (roughly 1 tbsp; you can add more or less depending on how tangy you prefer your Pico De Gallo to be)
Salt to taste
1. In a bowl, add the onions, tomatoes, jalapeños, lime juice and salt. Give it a good mix.
2. Finally sprinkle in the cilantro and mix well again. Your Pico De Gallo is ready to be used. Yes its really that simple!
We use ‘Que Pasa’ brand 100% Blue or Yellow corn tortilla chips available at our local grocery store, they’re organic and gluten free and delicious even by themselves!! You will be able to easily find gluten free tortilla chips of any brand since Corn is the main ingredient. In case of gluten allergies please check the labels to be absolutely sure!
Tips (for both Pico De Gallo and Guacamole)
* Ensure to remove the seeds and the membrane from the jalapeños as the seeds carry all the heat (unless you really enjoy a kick of spice in which case please feel free to use the jalapeños with the seeds and all).
* I also like taking the seeds and the juicy parts out from the tomatoes. Otherwise both the Pico as well as the guacamole become too runny!