- 1 and 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (dried)
- 1/4 cup ground almonds/almond meal
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup raw honey (maple syrup for vegan)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Sea salt as desired
Molten Chocolate topping:
- 1/2 cup DF chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- In a bowl add almond butter, coconut oil and honey (heat the mixture if needed in two bouts of 30 secs in the microwave or heat over a double boiler) and mix well.
- Then add the coconut and ground almonds. Mix well.
- Use an ice-cream scoop to shape the macaroons. I used a 2 tbsp scoop and that made 9 macaroons. You can use a 1 tbsp scoop to make smaller macaroons and that should give you 16-18.
- Place the macaroons on a baking sheet lined with a rubber mat or parchment paper and the cover with plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Chocolate Topping: Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave or over a double boiler. If using the microwave, heat in bouts of 30 secs to prevent the chocolate from burning. Check the chocolate after each 30 second bout to ensure that it does not burn. 2-3 bouts should be sufficient depending on the microwave. Then add 1/2 Tsp coconut oil and mix well.
- After two hours take the macaroons out of the freezer. Dip one half of the frozen macaroons in the chocolate dip and place them back on the rubber mat/parchment paper. The melted chocolate will set immediately on the frozen macaroons. Let the frozen macaroons thaw for 15-20 mins before digging into them.
- Store them in an airtight container and keep them refrigerated. They stay good for 6-7 days in the fridge.