Green chicken curry / Hariyali chicken
- 1 lb / 500 gm chicken cut in small pieces
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 6 green chillies (Reduce the number of chillies as per your spice preference)
- 4-5 garlic cloves (5 if they are small)
- 1 inch ginger peeled
- 1 medium red onion roughly diced
- 1/2 Tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 Tsp garam masala powder
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 3/4 cup coconut cream or 1 1/4 cup coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup Water (approx)
- To a blender/food processor add the diced onion and 1/4th cup water. Blend into a smooth paste.
- Then add the cilantro, mint leaves, ginger and garlic cloves. Blend again into a smooth paste. Add additional water if needed 1 Tbsp at a time.
- Place the cut pieces of chicken in a bowl. Add salt and half of the above green curry paste. Coat the chicken well in the curry paste and set aside.
- Heat a nonstick skillet of heavy bottomed pan to medium high. Add coconut oil.
- Once the oil is hot add the chicken that has been coated with the green marinade. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Then add the rest of the green curry paste and sauté for a minute more.
- Then add the coriander powder, garam masala powder and salt to taste (remember that we have already added some salt to the chicken earlier, so, add salt accordingly). Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the coconut cream or coconut milk and mix well.
- Reduce the heat to medium, cover the pan and let cook for 8-10 minutes. At the 5 minute mark you can open the lip to give the chicken a stir and to ensure that it does not stick to the bottom.
- After a total of 8-10 minutes, turn off the heat and give the chicken a final stir. Ensure the chicken is cooked by piercing it with a spatula.
- Enjoy this delicious green chicken curry or harilayi chicken with some rice or dosa. Yum!